More than 4,000,000 valuations

Documents you need

What do you need to sell your car?

There are a few bits of paperwork you will need when you sell your car. These help confirm your identity and ensure everything is in place to complete the transaction. 

It's a good idea to keep these documents safe and sound even when you aren't preparing your car for sale, as you'll need many of them for insurance purposes and for your own records, too.

Here's a quick list of documents you may need to sell your vehicle

Essential Non-essential
V5C logbook MOT certificates
Proof of ID / address history Insurance repairs
All vehicle keys Parts repairs
Service history documents Four receipts (if selling privately)
Finance settlement documents (if there's outstanding finance on the vehicle) Car handbook


To sell with Money4YourMotors, you'll need 1 form of ID or proof of address if your valuation is under £10,000, and 3 forms of ID and proof of address if your valuation is over £10,000.

As well as the registered keeper's identification, make sure you have your V5C logbook, service history documents, finance settlement documents and all vehicle keys with you. Don't forget your bank details either, so you can be paid instantly once your car has been inspected and a final price agreed. 

V5C logbook

This is the most important piece of paperwork you’ll need to sell your car: while it is possible to sell your vehicle without the V5C, it can be much more difficult, and you’ll likely have to go through a few potential buyers to find someone who accepts your vehicle without it. Before you sell, make sure your logbook is updated with your current name and address, alongside any changes you’ve made to your vehicle (like the paint colour, engine, chassis or fuel type). This is now a much quicker process, that you can complete online via 

Tip: never keep your V5C in your car; if it’s stolen, claiming insurance can be a lot more complicated.

Proof of ID

You’ll need proof of ID to prove that you’re the registered keeper of your car, and that you can legally sell it. This can take the form of your passport or driving licence, alongside a bank statement or utility bill that shows your address, dated within the last 3 months. 

It’s good practice to make sure your buyer has ID with them, too, especially if they’ll be taking a test drive. Our team of vehicle purchasers will always have valid ID with them if you choose to sell with Money4YourMotors. 

Service history documents 

Your car service history is a record of any maintenance and repairs that have been carried out over the years. Try and keep up with annual car services to show potential buyers that your car is well looked after and has regular checkups.

All vehicle keys

You’ll receive 2 sets of keys when you first buy your vehicle: you’ll usually need to pass on both sets when you come to sell. While it is possible to sell your car with a single key, it might take you longer to find a buyer. 

Finance settlement documents

You can still sell your car if you have outstanding finance, but you need proof from your loan company that you have the right to sell it on. You’re not the legal owner of your car until you’ve paid it off in full. 

Depending on your finance plan, and the sale method you choose, you or your buyer will need to pay the difference before the sale can legally go ahead. While you’re unable to sell a car on PCH, other finance options are valid for sale: check your vehicle can be sold with us here. We can help with this if you want to sell with Money4YourMotors.

MOT certificates 

As annual MOTs are a legal requirement, having your certificates to hand shows that your vehicle is roadworthy, and that you’ve carried out regular maintenance checks on it. 

You can access your MOT history for free from using your numberplate. If you need to print out your MOT certificate, though, you’ll need to have your V5C details with you.

Insurance repairs

You don’t have to keep a record of minor damage when you’re selling your car, but you do need to declare any insurance write-offs. 

If your car or van has been written off, you’ll be able to sell your car depending on the level of damage, but you’re likely to get less money for it. The details of your write-off should  always be included in background checks following your initial valuation, or at the point of sale. 

Parts repairs

It’s good practice to keep a record of parts repairs or replacements you’ve had on your vehicle. This shows that you’ve looked after your car, and helps your buyer determine its most accurate value. 

Four receipts 

The majority of car-buying companies will send your payment in full and provide you with an online receipt to show that the deal has gone through. 

If you’re selling privately, make sure you get a receipt from your buyer to prove the transaction’s gone through. This is particularly important if your buyer is placing a deposit, as they might not have funds to hand immediately. 

To make sure both you and your buyer are covered, make sure your receipts include: 

  • Seller and buyer’s full names
  • Your car’s identifying details: registration number, make, model and mileage
  • Dates and signatures from both parties

You and your buyer will need two receipts each in total: one each for your final car price, as well as one each for a deposit if your buyer put one down. 

Car handbook 

The final piece of paperwork you need to sell your car is your car handbook. While this isn’t crucial to the sale, this instruction manual is a useful piece of information for your car’s new owner and helps show that you’ve looked after your vehicle. Your handbook will usually be kept in your glovebox.

Avoiding fraud with a private sale 

If you choose to sell your car via a private seller, you need to make sure you’re being completely honest about the condition of your vehicle. The onus is on you as well as your buyer to make sure the right documents have been signed, and your car has safely exchanged ownership. Once the sale has been made, make sure to contact the DVLA to let them know your car has changed hands. 

Our friendly team are more than happy to help with any questions you have about selling your car. Get in touch to make sure you’ve got everything you need before you sell or give us a call on 0333 015 4444.


How do I transfer my V5C to a new owner?  

Once your car’s officially changed hands, you'll need to update your V5C to legally switch your vehicle to a new registered keeper. Just like updating your own address on your V5C, this is a quick process you can complete online via All you’ll need is your 11-digit reference number (found on the front page of your logbook) and the name and address of the vehicle’s new owner. 

Do I need to tell the DVLA I sold my car? 

It’s your responsibility as the seller to inform the DVLA that your car’s owner has changed. Until your V5C logbook has been updated, you’re still accountable for your car - and the new owner won’t be able to legally tax or drive the vehicle. If you sell your car with us, we will handle the transfer of ownership for you.